Sunday, November 20, 2011

Give Thanks - With A Grateful Heart

 Children at Station well - they carry water to their homes
November 20, 2011   
All is almost well here: Valerie’s neck is slowly responding to treatment with the aid of our physio-therapist neighbour, but in falling she also received a bad rap to her head, probably a minor concussion.
Fun on the Mission Station for ALL
We attended Bethel Church last Sunday and it was a Thanksgiving service with 20 different groups singing and/or dancing. We were special invités and had front row seats. The service was 5½ hours long, and almost everyone stayed until the end. The enthusiasm portrayed by all the groups, which were a mixture of adults, young people and children, was exceedingly high and nurtured by their profound thankfulness for what God does for them.
The twenty groups:
1.  Anciens et Diacres  2.  Invités  3.  Ecole de Dimanche
4.  Assemblée 5.  Filles Pour Christ  6.  Magnes – Tagnes
7.  Groupe de Jeunes  8. Groupe Dii  9.  Groupe du Noum
10. FPC  11. Groupe Messager  12. Groupe Bamiléké
13. Groupe sawa  14. ACF  15. Groupe Mboum  16. Groupe Bassa
17. Groupe du Mbam  18. Groupe Catéchèse 19. Groupe Matinal
20. Groupe Laka
Before going to church the electricity, which comes from a hydro development near Garoua  (operated by an American Company (originally Chinese)), was absent. When the electricity disappears you can be sure that the water supply will also vanish in a short while. It is Monday and no water. Fortunately there is a well not far from us where we can carry pails to our home.

Jack left at 7:40AM on Thursday for a 4 day evangelism trip to Poli, where it is in a valley surrounded by mountains - very hot!! With my neck (last night was a bad one) I have been told not to travel these very rough roads in rough riding vehicles - also this is a man trip, no ladies this time. He will be home Sunday evening. I am regretting my inability to travel now - next time hopefully.

We have been following Battle of Blades updates on computer... so Tessa & David won - were they really the best or was it because of the uniqueness of something different having a female hockey player?  We don't miss TV Jack listens to Bomber/hockey games on ‘puter, if at a half-decent time. We do a lot of reading, puzzling (sure wish I had taken a few more zigsaws) - crafts, will finally get my African x-stitch outlined. Next project is crocheted angels for Christmas gifts for friends here. I'm in bed by nine but up before 6 - then off for my half hour walk twice around mission station. Jack sometimes joins me & Phil (yesterday both slept in) - today I had to get Jack ready, make him lunch & oatmeal before he left.

We love having our Cameroonian friends visit so much - William brought his wife Mary and their almost 6 month old daughter, Wilma to visit yesterday. I've given them & Fanta many clothes (Chera packed one suitcase with munchkin clothes).
Well must go and hang out my sheets - the air is getting so misty with dust (Sahara) - dryness has really settled in - my allergies tell me so also - soon they'll burn the mountain elephant grass, it grows to ~12' tall - did you see pic of Jack, that was short grass.
This week’s heroes for me are Nicole and Solange; both Cameroonian and I admire them. Nicole has returned to Cameroon after living in Europe for 11 years – she wanted to come back to help ‘her’ people. She is a Physio-Therapist at the EELC Protestant Hospital and also our neighbor. Her warm healing hands have eased the pain I’ve suffered this past two weeks. Warm in temperature and in her care and concern.
Solange is a single parent of three young children, trying to eke out a living for them. Her husband left her and the children several years ago. She has become an accomplished baker - supplying the station and area around with whole wheat bread, croissants, special order pizza along with roasted peanuts when ordered - what else? Tenacity mixed with a lot of love.

Today is Sunday – Jack will be home this afternoon around 4 – it’s a little different being here alone. I did enjoy our group outing on Friday evening – this time I tried Capitaine Champignons, so good. Yesterday my neck felt so much better after my 6AM walk that I tackled making Jack a tropical fruit pie (pineapple/papaya/banana). We did have a blackout from about 5 – 7, I sat outside with my knitting and watched the birds coming for their last drink or bath before nightfall at 6. Anita, you would love it here; there have been so many different species of birds visiting. Little wren like/warblers/finch – flycatchers – bulbuls – chats – wagtails – red cheeked cordon bleus. I’m going crazy trying to identify them all and Jack has the camera.
Sorry I didn’t get more photos up last Posting but working on the computer is difficult with a strained neck. I do have a neck brace on today and will at least link you into many this posting.    
       Jeannette - Femme Pour Christ    
Shalom with God's Blessings... in Christian LOVE,   Val & Jack
Give Thanks with a grateful heart – Give Thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because he’s given Jesus Christ his Son.
And now – let the weak say I am strong
Let the poor say that I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us…
Give Thanks with a Greatful Heart - We Give THANKS!
my lonely poinsettia 





No comments:

Post a Comment