Friday, November 11, 2011

Today is the 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year of 2011 – Lest We Forget at the 11th hour – in Cameroon


We are definitely into the ‘dry season’ since our last Posting. The days are always sunny and hot, the air is getting dustier… soon the Harmattan breezes that blow in from the Sahara Desert will coat everything with red dust.
In December the Adamaoua Plateau of small mountains beside us will be lit with the burning of the grass – looking like Christmas lights on a tree.
This past week has not been a good one for me – on November 3rd we were having a meeting with Fanta and William in our home at 1 PM – Fanta hadn’t arrived yet – we were enjoying a pleasant conversation with William. I had the kettle on for tea – when my stomach had suddenly become very cramped. I will let Jack tell you the rest of the story…
Jack:
I have met with two doctors from the Hospital concerning our Kids Helping Kids Program and several times with William and Fanta. Everyone is very happy with the program and we continue to meet to formulate the continuance of KHK.
Rev. Etienne Fomgbami, assistant to Bishop, and I met on October 31st and discussed forming an agenda of events over the next few months. We travelled to the village of Mbellang on November 2nd, about 20 kms to the east of N’déré where Etienne offered a Bible Study to about 20 members of the congregation. Mbellang is a small village of grass roofed homes with a metal roofed church that would accommodate about 75 people. Sweet coffee, le pain and macabou (potato-like vegetable) were offered as nourishment and we then returned home in the mid afternoon.
I began preparing five pages of Bible Study, which I was to present on Saturday morning in Mbellang plus I was also preparing a sermon for All Saints Sunday the next day. Unfortunately, life throws some kinks into the best of plans.
Valerie suddenly became very dizzy in our very small bathroom – William and I had no knowledge she was feeling this spell of vertigo. Low blood pressure along with tummy upset caused her to faint – crack her head and jar her neck into a very uncomfortable waking up on the floor. With William’s help we got her to bed. He then brought a Norwegian doctor - who examined her, she had suffered a severe head and neck trauma. It was determined that nothing had been broken. She has been treated at the hospital during this past week four times by their physio-therapist, who happens to be our neighbor. Her care and concern has been wonderful. Rough rides are not on the timetable for Valerie for awhile, but she is on the road to recovery and walking is no problem.
Needless to say my trip last weekend had to be cancelled - but, I have many others on my appointment calendar. We will be travelling north to Poli where there will be evangelizing events from November 17 – 20th.
I took over the helm of being with the children last Sunday – my French was tested – the kids were a great help. I showed them albums of our family in Canada, they enjoyed that. I gave them paper, pencils and crayons to start working on their cards for Canada.
There are meetings of the EELC Council and invited church partners on November 24-26th, in part there will be discussion on the forthcoming Ordination Service on May 6th, in which the first women will be ordained.
Also on the 27th of November the Installation the newly elected General Secretary of the EELC will take place in the big station church – I have been told to be present and be “gowned”.
We hope to have a meeting with Jeannette, President of the Femme pour Christ within this next week.
We have just returned from a Friday evening get together at our favourite restaurant, Meilleurs, with Phil, our young friends Mia and Christian. The brochette de capitaine avec riz and plaintain were yummy as usual.
Until next time,   Jack & Val

 “I see my path, but I don't know where it leads.
Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
Rosalia de Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment